- It is solar charged. Battery holds 4000mah.
- It receives 20mb per day. That's about 20 minutes of good quality audio, average quality video, or 40 minutes of mono audio.
- It does data to the internet, communication is receive only.
- A DIY receiver kit is $100. It comes with the CHIP single board computer. (This means it requires a monitor, keyboard, mouse.)
- It saves data and becomes a wifi hotspot, so you can share data with others.
- It currently receives content from offline Wikipedia files, and news stations like BBC, Medline, WHO and Al Jazeera.
- It has a USB for output, an SD card slot.
- You need to install an Oracle VM in order to update the hardware for Skylark.
- The CHIP computer uses the OS called rxOS.
The Outernet broadcast is broken into three categories: the Queue, Sponsored Content, and the Core Archive. Content in the Queue is decided via votes on Whiteboard as well as requests via the Outernet Facebook page. Outernet plans to expand the avenues through which it is able to receive requests for content. Anyone can view what is being broadcast on Outernet at any time.
DIY home kit. $99us with USB power pack.
But there are still questions.
- How do we select which data we want to receive?
- How can I request a specific file, ebook, or video? Use their Whiteboard, as a way to suggest content.Or their Filecast Center.
- Is the hotspot secured with a password that I can give to other people?
- For the hotspot, is there user-level security where some people can access only one or two folders?
- Can it connect to a Windows PC via wifi or USB port? Or do I need a separate keyboard, mouse and monitor?
- How can I remove and manage content on my own Lantern hotspot?
- Can I name the hotspot? Does it need it's own IP address? How do I get an IP address?
- Can I leave it out in the rain? What about the snow? A plastic enclosure is due soon.
- The DIY weather kit is not weather-proof. Are there any cases for the receiver?
- How do we point the receiver to make sure we get the strongest signal?
- It uses a battery pack for power, but can it use 5vdc connected to mains power?
We currently envision a system that allows content-requests through SMS, phone calls, feature phone apps, and the website. Source.
Sources and more info
- Their Indiegogo site.
- The Outernet site. Outernet forums here.
- Outernet Facebook page.
- Outernet FAQ.