EDC = endocrine disrupting chemical
MSDS = a sheet summarizing any hazards with a specific chemical, which also includes problems associated with long-term or repeated exposure. May include cancinogenicity info, synonyms.
- BHA and BHT are suspected endocrine disruptors. Harmful to fish and wildlife. MSDS for BHA as PDF.
- Coal tar dyes: p-phenylenediamine and colours listed as "CI" followed by a five digit number. Colors listed in the 75000 and 77000 series, and "FD&C Blue 1" or "Blue No 1" also. MSDS from Proctor and Gamble as PDF.
- DEA, TEA and MEA ingredients. Can form nitrosamines which cause cancer.
- Dibutyl phthalate, or any phthalate.
- Parabens. Suspected EDCs.
- Formaldehyde-releasing preservatives like DMDM hydantoin, diazolidinyl urea, imidazolidinyl urea, methenamine and quarternium-15. May cause cancer.
- "Parfum" aka "fragrance". Some linked to cancer and neurotoxicity.
- PEG compounds.
- Petrolatum, petroleum compounds. A product made from oil that can be contaminated with polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, which could cause cancer.
- Siloxanes. Look for ingredients ending in "-siloxane" or "-methicone." Suspected endocrine disrupter and reproductive toxicant (cyclotetrasiloxane).
- Sodium laureth sulfate. Used as foaming agent in shampoos, detergents, soaps, etc. Can cause cancer. MSDS sheet as PDF.
- Triclosan contributes to making antibiotic-resistant bacteria like MRSA. See article "50% of antibiotics ineffective on children."