- Monsanto-Mahyco Biotech brought 100 grams of cotton seeds into India, containing the MON531-Bt gene, without the approval of the Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC).
- Monsanto-Mahyco started large scale, open field trials of said Bt cotton in 40 locations spread across nine states, again without GEAC approval. (These could easily mix with non-GMO cotton, and Monsanto would have be able to collect huge fines from impoverished farmers.)
- Some of this GMO cotton was sold in open markets.
- Indian law does not permit patents on seeds and in agriculture.
- US officials have pressured India's gov't to change their laws about this.
- And more cheap tricks by Monsanto. See article.
GMO Inside. Mar 1, 2016. Link to article.